A number of conditions, including injuries, rheumatoid arthritis, and prolonged overuse, can cause knee pain. A healthcare provider should ideally be the one to guide treatment since it can be complicated. The generic remedies listed below may be able to ease knee discomfort, but for a diagnosis and individualized treatment plan, see a doctor:
Rest and Steer Clear of Aggravating Activities: Give your knee a vacation from activities that cause it to strain too much.
- Ice: Using ice on your knee will help to minimize discomfort and swelling. Every few hours, use a cold pack for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Compression: To reduce swelling, use a knee sleeve or compressive bandage, but make sure it’s not too tight.
- Elevation: To help minimize swelling, try to keep your knee elevated above the level of your heart.
- Physical Therapy: You can improve stability and lessen pain by strengthening the muscles surrounding your knee with the help of a physical therapist.
- Medication: Ibuprofen and acetaminophen, two over-the-counter pain relievers and anti-inflammatory drugs, can help control discomfort and swelling.
- Injections: Corticosteroid injections may be suggested as a means of reducing inflammation in some disorders, such as arthritis.
- Weight management: Reducing your weight might ease the strain on your knees if you are overweight.
- Supportive Footwear: Put on shoes with plenty of cushioning and support.
- Orthotics: In certain situations, a doctor’s prescription for custom orthotics or insoles can be helpful.
- Heat Therapy: Applying heat to sore spots helps loosen muscles and increase blood flow.
- Surgery may be required in extreme situations, such as those requiring meniscus or ligament damage or advanced arthritis.
Alternative Therapies: Although the effectiveness of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate supplements, massage therapy, and acupuncture vary, some people experience relief with these treatments.
Never forget that not everyone will benefit from these treatments, and some may have unintended negative effects. Before beginning any treatment, it is imperative to have a correct diagnosis and treatment suggestion from a medical practitioner.