Popular fruits like bananas can be eaten at different stages of maturity based on usage and personal choice. Nonetheless, there are certain indicators that suggest a banana can be overripe for frequent consumption:
Overpowering Strong Odor: A banana may be overripe if it has an overpoweringly sweet, sickly fragrance. If the fruit smells alcoholic or fermented, it’s starting to rot and shouldn’t be eaten fresh.
Mold Growth: A banana is no longer fit for consumption if it has mold growing on it in any part of it, particularly on the skin or around the stem. Fuzzy spots that are typically white, blue, green, or black can be seen as mold.
Oozing Liquid: A banana that is gushing liquid indicates that it is overripe to the point of going bad. The fruit within is liquefying due to its breakdown, even if the peel is still intact.
Bananas that are overripe but do not yet show these severe symptoms can still be utilized in baking or cooking; because they are sweeter and more delicious, overripe bananas are great for banana bread, smoothies, or pancakes.
Never forget that brown stains on a banana don’t always mean it’s too ripe to eat. Because starches are breaking down into sugars in those areas, the banana may be more tasty and simpler to digest when it is at its ripest. When the aforementioned indicators show up, the bananas are probably too ripe to eat fresh.